Let me tell you, gun education is every pacifist mother’s dream for her girls.
- One in Five children live at or below the poverty line
- 9 million children are the recipients of food from a pantry, kitchen, or shelter
- Fresh meat is one of the hardest commodities to acquire due to its high cost ($3 - $5 per pound). It is also more difficult to donate frozen meat.
- Children who are undernourished have trouble concentrating and bonding with other children and are more likely to suffer illnesses that force them to be absent from school.
- Venison is low in fat, naturally nutritious and costs about $.25 per serving
- One deer can feed 200 hundred hungry people
The weather here in Indiana has been great for hunters. There’s something about the cold, crisp air that brings out the deer. I don’t understand the joy in intentionally sitting out in the freezing temperatures, but Bjoern seems to get something emotional, perhaps even spiritual, out of the endless silence and squirrels, no matter if he gets anything or not (Bjoern only shoots if he is absolutely sure he is precisely accurate and we will eat it). But this year he did get something. And, rather than processing the deer for our own venison spaghetti sauce or gulasch purposes, he donated it at a local, participating butcher. I think Bjoern felt that it was an offering of sorts, like tithing the first fruits of his harvest.Maybe Ella will write about that in her next ad lib Father’s Day letter?
This column is intended be a place where we can come together and share our knowledge - our facts and our experiences - to empower and encourage one another into action. Let’s learn together how we can be a part of the solution in dismantling our world’s unjust systems of oppression. So, if you’ve got something we ought to know, send your facts and story, in 800 words or less, to firstname.lastname@example.org.